A hit and run accident claim would be come into play after a road traffic collision where one of the parties involved is either unidentified or uninsured. Everyone makes mistakes and occasionally a driver may have forgotten to renew their insurance. Sometimes a driver can leave the scene of a collision unaware they have hit anything, especially if the thing they have hit is a lot smaller than their vehicle. . More commonly a driver may try to evade liability by fleeing the scene of an accident without stopping, especially if the accident was their fault.

The Motor Insurers Bureau exists to compensate the victims of hit and run accidents or uninsured drivers. If the guilty party in untraced then CM Solicitors will take up to 25% of your compensation to pay the legal fees. If they are just uninsured then our legal fees would be paid by the MIB and we would take a smaller amount from your compensation to cover our success fee.

If you are involved in an accident with an untraceable or uninsured driver you must;

  • Try to get or remember the registration number of the other vehicle.
  • Appeal immediately to any witnesses in the area
  • Report the incident to the police either immediately or as soon as possible thereafter.
  • Seek immediate medical attention if you are injured.

If you don’t do any of the above then you may find that you either cannot claim or if you can claim you may be eligible for less compensation.

If you or someone you know would like to speak to us, entirely in confidence, about any of these issues then please call our head of negligence Michael Shaw on 0800 1 444 111 or email him at michaelshaw@cmsolicitors.co.uk . Alternatively you can use the enquiry form situated on this page.